I live for peach season. In part because of all that it implies – long days, flip flops, not looking sickly pale. Oh and corn, tomatoes, melons, blueberries, basil (aka pesto), I could go on but I think you get the point. This embarrassment of freshly picked riches gives me anxiety. I mean a day without at least two peaches and all of the items listed above is a day wasted.
I tried to be fancy here with homemade ice cream and mixing the peaches in but the peanut gallery thought simpler would be better – “you couldn’t really taste the grilled peaches once frozen” and “they texture wasn’t great” – its always good to have a little constructive criticism, especially when they are right (if not a tad spoiled).
- brown sugar
- ice cream or whipped cream (for serving)
- Preheat your grill and lightly oil the grates.
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits.
- Place the peaches, cut side down over high heat and let cook until you see those nice grill marks (5-7 minutes depending on your grill).
- Place the peaches, cut side up on a small sheet pan or other heat proof pan.
- Sprinkle about 1 tbl of brown sugar over each half and put the sheet pan back on the grill over medium/low heat, close the lid and cook about 10 minutes - the time depends on how ripe your peaches are, if they are super tender and juicy they might only need enough time to melt the sugar, if they need a little tlc, cook them until a knife pierces them easily.
- Serve warm or room temp plain, with a scoop of ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, anything and everything.