If I were to sum up my childhood in food it would be the Silver Palate Cookbook – from our required birthday chocolate cake to our summer staple pesto pasta. My mom has been making a similar version of this Nutty Wild Rice Salad for as long as I can remember and for most of those years I hated it (I was the weird kid that hated oranges). But I am glad to say I have seen the light and am such a fan of this delicious and I think unique dish. It goes great with chicken, can be its own light lunch, or it would pair very nicely with a sandwich.
In these days of quarantine it will be a refreshing a different take on your regular ole rice dish.
- 1 cup wild rice
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2-3 tbl olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale (i like lacinato kale but use what you have/like)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2-3 tsp kosher salt
- Follow package instructions for cooking your wild rice. I use water to cook it but if you would like to use chicken stock you are definitely welcome to do so. Cook rice to a nice al dente and strain.
- While it is cooking whisk the orange zest and juice with the olive oil in a large bowl (big enough for everything to be tossed together in).
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the pecans, tossing to coat the kale. When the rice is done and still warm, add it to the bowl and toss thoroughly to combine. Let come to room temp then mix in the pecans and serve.