Coffee cake is one of my favorite tasty treats…in theory – i am more often than not disappointed by the dry dense cake weighed down by a somewhat flavorless and stale crumb topping. This cake is so ridiculously moist and the crackly cinnamon-sugar top reminds me of the cinnamon toast my mom made growing up. yumm. Of course the apples are a delicious addition that also makes this toooootally healthy (its Christmas so I am going to stick with this theory).
You can make it a day or two early so it is perfect for a Christmas morning post-present rampage breakfast! That’s my plan anyway!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 12 oz unsalted butter (3 sticks)
- 3 eggs
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 apple, cored and sliced (and each slice halved)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbl cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a 10in cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low alternate adding the dry ingredients and the sour cream - about ⅓ of each at a time. Mix just until combined.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon of cinnamon into the ½ cup sugar. Spread half of the batter in your prepared cake pan, getting it all the way to the edges.
- Sprinkle about 2 table of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the batter then place a single layer of apples on top of this - pressing the gently into the batter.
- Spread the rest of the batter over top - if you are making this ahead of time, stop here and continue to the next step just before baking.
- Pour the ½ cup of heavy cream over the top of the cake then sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar evenly over this.
- Bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes, until the center is set.