I have been asked so many times for this Curried Chicken Salad recipe that I can’t believe it took me this long to get it up on my site. My Mom has been making this literally forever and it is definitely in the top ten of family favorites. She usually makes it in the summer because it is such a great group lunch that can be served room temp or even chilled so its a perfect no fuss, lazy Sunday meal. In current times given that you sadly won’t be making it for a crowd there is a silver lining – lots of work from home lunches can be made from it!! So we got that going for us.
So, if you have not had the pleasure of eating Suz’s famous Curried Chicken Salad, please take this as a PSA and make it as soon as possible. For those that have been asking for the recipe, apologies for my tardy response but better late than never is what I say!!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 parsnip, halved
- 2 cloves
1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- ½ cup scallions, sliced into ¼ inch
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbl soy sauce
- ⅓ cup curry powder*
- 1 cup mango chutney, finely chopped**
- Sliced bananas
- Salted peanuts
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large sauté pan combine chicken, onion, bay leaf, parsnip and cloves and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes (or more if you have some really large breasts!).
- Using a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool enough to handle. Discard everything else in the pan.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dressing ingredients. Add the chicken, water chestnuts and scallions and toss thoroughly to coat.
- Serve room temp with the toppings.
**mango chutney can often be quite chunky depending on the brand so just dump the jar out onto your cutting board and give it a good chop