These beans are a great way to spice up some plain grilled chicken. Chipotles in adobo are possibly my favorite spice ingredient – chipotles are smoked jalapenos and adobo is a blend of various spices and seasonings such as paprika, oregano, garlic, salt and vinegar, originally used as a preservative. A little goes a long way here so I recommend starting slow (maybe 1/2 a chipotle or even just some of the adobo sauce), you can always add heat in later.
Smokey Black Beans
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 chipotle in adobo, plus a little of the sauce (depending on your spiciness threshold)
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce (crushed tomatoes work just as well)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat up a sauté pan and add in everything except the black beans. Let simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring often as tomatoes can burn easily.
- Pour into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Drain and rinse the beans, place the sauté pan over medium heat and add everything, stirring to coat the beans in the chipotle-tomato mixture. Again, keep an eye on this, stirring often for another 15 minutes.
Leave a Reply