I absolutely love making cookies for people (especially myself) all year long, but during the holidays I really just cant help myself. All of those glittering sugars start calling to me, they come in every color you could possibly imagine and with names like disco dust, how can one resist? This holiday sugar cookie recipe is great for decorating and gift-giving but it is also perfectly delicious all on its own.
I have discovered this year that making this holiday sugar cookie recipe is an effective way to procrastinate while still feeling productive. Even at this very moment, I should be finishing a 20-page research paper due tomorrow, but at least i’m not watching tv! I suggest trying it the next time you really don’t want to do laundry or clean your apartment.
Rolling Pin and Rubber Band Ring attachments: these are an incredibly useful tool to roll anything out evenly! You can find them on amazon or at stores like Williams Sonoma.
Piping bags: you can find cloth or disposable bags at specialty food stores
Decorating Tips (optional): if you want to get fancy with your decorating these are great but definitely not necessary – all of my decorations were done just cutting a tiny hole in my disposable bag
Colorful Sprinkles and/or Food Coloring
- 6oz butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and honey and beat again until fully incorporated and fluffy.
- Beat eggs in one at a time and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Form dough into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to several days).
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Roll dough out between two pieces of parchment and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or stick in freezer for 5).
- Once rolled dough is firm, peel top piece of parchment away from dough, place it back and flip dough over. Remove parchment and cut out cookies (using a cutter or stencil).*
- Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes, until edges and bottom are golden brown.