We’ve been in our new digs for two months but in the last two weeks it finally feels like things are starting to come together. Chris had some time off so we decided to have a nice little staycation to get sh*t done. There was furniture hunting, rug shlepping and multiple room rearrangings, there was shelf demolition and shade installation, my first foray into wallpapering and of course lots and lots of cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, washing, cleaning and more cleaning. All of this with only a few bumps, bruises, neck spasms and near melt-downs (that wallpapering was a real doozy!).
The only big thing left to tackle is the kitchen which despite my obvious diy skillz (did I mention I put up wallpaper?) we are leaving it to the professionals. A kitchen renovation of my very own!! Holy moly I am excited.
about that sausage and kale pasta recipe…
This has been my go to the past few crazy weeks because it is ridiculously easy aaaand i dont even have to go grocery shopping! It started as kind of an in-case-of-emergency pasta but I love it SO much its become an at-least-a-once-a-week staple. I keep a large supply of kale and sausage in the freezer and I can literally go from wallpapering to eating in 20 minutes.* It almost makes me feel guilty because, you know, cooking is what I do, but then I walk into my soon to be demolished kitchen – which is usually about the temperature of hell (or whatever temp i’ve set the oven to) – just before the smoke alarm goes off again and a wine glass crashes onto the stove from the stupid wooden cabinet above a six burner gas range that I nail my hip on running to open windows because someone didn’t measure the damn thing or put in ventilation!!
I’m sorry what were we talking about?
*I really like Hudson Valley Harvest for both the kale and sausage. I get it either from Fresh Direst or Whole Foods but i’m pretty sure you can find it elsewhere.
- 8 oz chorizo or other spicy sausage (i like uncooked but you can definitely use a smoked chorizo here)
- 8 oz kale (fresh or frozen), chopped
- 4 oz parmesan, grated
- 1 lb pasta
- Thaw the sausage and kale if necessary - I usually try to expedite this process by running them under warm water for several minutes.
- Put water on for the pasta and heat a large saute pan - you don't really need oil here as the sausage will provide some for us.
- Remove the chorizo from its casing and add it to the pan, breaking it into small chunks as you go.
- Let cook over med-hi heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally until nicely browned and cooked through. Add the chopped kale, season generously with salt and pepper. Cook over med-low heat for about 5 minutes and keep warm while you cook the pasta.
- When the pasta is ready, add it to the sausage and kale along with lots of parmesan and black pepper. Toss and serve immediately.